South side of East Mt. Zion Baptist Church (originally the Euclid Avenue Christian Church) located at 9990 Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2022.
On July 4, 1843, members of the Disciples of Christ Church in Euclid met in a maple grove near Euclid Avenue and E. 105th Street and voted to form their own congregation. The congregation met in homes until 1848, when a church was constructed on Euclid Avenue between Doan (now E. 105th St.) and Republic (now E. 101st St.).
The congregation moved into a new building at 9990 Euclid Avenue in 1908. This structure was designed by architects George Kramer and C.C. Hamilton. The J.R. Lamb Studios designed the interior woodwork and stained glass windows.
The exterior is faced with green serpentinite stone from Chester County, Pennsylvania. The Romanesque Revival exterior features Syrian-style archways over doors and windows, and a coarse-ashlar finish. The interior woodwoork is all oak. The interior is based on the "Akron Plan", a popular style at the time. This permitted the Sunday School walls to fold back so that the larger crowds could hear the service. The builders were Skeel Bros. of Cleveland.
Euclid Avenue Christian Church moved to Cleveland Heights in 1955, and sold the building to East Mt. Zion Baptist Church. East Mt. Zion became the first African American church to hold services on Euclid Avenue.