I’m planning on doing a fair amount of segmented turning and really needed a way to get the rings sanded nice and flat with parallel faces. I got lots of good ideas on how to make the sander using Google and this is what I came up with. It’s made of fiberboard and fir 2x4s. A number of years ago I found that giant wing nut by the side of the road while walking and put it to good use for the thickness adjusting mechanism. It took a 3/4" x 10tpi rod so that matches the robustness of the lathe. Initial trials indicate that this will do the job and maybe now I can actually do some turning.
The drum is 20" wide although I have just a 12" wide piece of sanding cloth on it in the photo.