Two of the most important people in the
dramatic development of Middlesbrough as a town were Henry W.F.Bolckow and John Vaughan. Bolckow and Vaughan opened an Iron works in 1841 to give the emerging new
town an alternative industry to that of coal exporting. This locomotive shed is one of the few remaining vestiges of these influential ironworks and dates from around 1880.
Architecturally the building is grand, built of brick, with nine bays and two gables of differing heights at either end. The building exhibits good industrial architectural detailing that includes arched cast iron windows in the Georgian style with bulls-eye windows over. There are semi-circular arched openings for locomotives. An attractive industrial building on the riverside it can be clearly seen from the nearby Transporter Bridge. It provides character and historic context to the Greater 12 Middlehaven area.
For more information on the Local List please click here – www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/planning-services…